This soup starts in the slow cooker. If you’d like, you can serve it up in oven proof bowls adding cheese on top and putting it under the broiler until the cheese melts. If you don’t want to do that you can add cheese on top without putting it under the broiler. I saw this idea on The Kitchen on Food Network.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 can 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 can 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes (or 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8-12 ounces pasta of your choice
- grated Mozzarella Cheese
- sliced Provolone cheese
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add ground beef and cook thoroughly, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drain the ground beef and set aside on a plate with paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Add onion to the crock pot.
- Add the meat on top of the onion.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and cheeses and stir together.
- Cook on high for 6 hours.
- Add the pasta and cook for 30 more minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve in bowls adding grated Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Or, fill broiler-proof bowls with soup adding grated Mozzarella cheese on top and one or two slices of Provolone cheese on top of the Mozzarella.
- Place under broiler on a baking sheet watching carefully until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Serve with salad and bread, if desired.
This recipe can serve 8 people generously.