Thanks for stopping by!
Here I am with my children.
Dan, Josh, Ellen b., Laura and Katie
My name is Ellen B. I’m one of 8 children born to Russian Immigrants and raised in East L.A., California. I’ve been happily married to “dear” for 32 34 years. We moved to the Seattle Area in 1988 and now 20 years later find ourselves living in Seattle and Southern California. We have 2 sons and a daughter. Our oldest son is married to a lovely lady whom we count as our 2nd daughter. I was educated to be an elementary school teacher but today my only employ is to spend “dear’s” money. What a wonderful job he has blessed me with. Besides taking care of our homes, I spend time in Bible study, bargain hunting, walking and reading. I love to search and find any information that helps me to honor my King, Jesus. I love to laugh and to smile. (I have the wrinkles to prove that) I hope you find some encouragement in what I share on my blog. I especially hope to honor the KING!
Blessings on your heads,
Here are the contrasts I live with moving back and forth from the Seattle Area to the LA Area:
SEATTLE AREA LOS ANGELES AREA
1. With my kids 1. With my husband
2. With my closest friends 2. With my siblings and parents
3. Good water from the tap 3. Bottled water
4. 4 distinct seasons 4. Sunshine most every day
5. Courteous Drivers (bad but courteous) 5. People that can merge
6. Well equipped large kitchen 6. Small condo EZ to clean
7. Lot less dust (wet) 7. Lots and lots of dust (dry)
8. Fred Meyer 8. Homegoods
9. Burke Gilman trail walks 9. Neighborhood walks
10. Dick’s drive-in 10. In and Out
11. Tub’s Sub’s 11. Jewish Deli’s
12. Lake Washington 2 miles away 12. Pacific Ocean 8 miles away
13. Whidbey Island ferry ride 13. Santa Barbara close drive
14. Gasoline $2.50 a gallon (2007) 14. Gasoline $2.99 a gallon (2007)
15. Many fine restaurants everywhere 15. Mexican restaurants everywhere
16. A Lawn to mow 16. A small patio to sweep
17. Old house with shop 17. New condo 1 car garage
18. Blueberry Bush 18. Strawberry stands
19. Pear Tree 19. Avocados from sisters tree
20. Small Church 20. Big church
I had this lined up well but for whatever reason it went wobbly on me. But alas, we’ve already established the fact that I am not a computer program wizard! 🙂
Update June 29, 2007 ~ Starting mid July I will be living full-time in Southern California with holiday and vacation trips to the Seattle area. We are keeping our home in Seattle and two of our adult children are living in it and taking care of it for us. Dear and I hope to return to Seattle when the Lord wills it…
UPDATE: As of March of 2010 we are living once again in the Seattle Area. Dear took an early retirement from his company so he could pursue other opportunities in the Seattle area. Our condominium is up for sale and we do hope it sells sometime soon. We are so thankful to the Lord for opening the doors for us to return to our home in the Northwest.
UPDATE: June 30th, 2010. Our condo finally sold and we are thankful to only have one mortgage again and to not have to pay monthly homeowner’s dues. Dear is working in Seattle and we are continuing on many projects at this old house. We are still in the hunt for a local church to plant ourselves in…
Update: As of March 11, 2011 we have a new Son-in-law. Our daughter Katie married Andrew. Andrew is in the Marines on deployment in Afghanistan. We are planning a wedding celebration on their one year anniversary in Seattle. Andrew and Katie were married at the Magistrate’s office in Jacksonville, North Carolina with no family in attendance. We are all looking forward to witnessing their marriage vows after Andrew returns.
Update: We had a wonderful wedding ceremony for Katie and Andrew on their 1 year anniversary in the Seattle area March 11, 2012. As of December 2014 our son Daniel is engaged to Jamie. We will be having a wedding June of 2015. Our family grows. Andrew and Katie are now living in our neck of the woods and Andrew is no longer in the Marine Corps. We are planted in a local church called Northshore Community Church.
Update: August of 2015. We now have all three of our children married. Our son Daniel married Jamie the end of June in a beautiful ceremony in the Northeastern corner of Washington state.