This hearty salad has a nice flavor and is naturally gluten free. You can add or delete ingredients to suit your own taste buds, too.
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped fresh mango
- 1/2 to 1 cup garbanzo beans drained and rinsed (Chickpeas)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan combine quinoa with the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- You can set it in the refrigerator to speed the cooling.
While the quinoa is cooling prepare the rest of the ingredients. I left the amounts of beans and green onion to your discretion. We enjoy green onion so I added the full 1/2 cup. Mix together all these ingredients with the cooled quinoa and enjoy as a side dish or a meal. You can easily make this a vegetarian dish by cooking the quinoa with water or vegetable stock instead of the chicken stock.
Although I’m going to try to create some posts during our travels I cannot guarantee that and I will be hit and miss with visiting blogs over the next two weeks. Cheers!