Back in 2016 we celebrated Chinese New Year on February 8th which happened to be Super Bowl Sunday, too. This year Chinese New Year is this coming Friday, the 12th of February.
At our Super Bowl Chinese New Year Party at our house in 2016 I made this simple soup that many Chinese Restaurants serve. Several recipes were very similar online so I really don’t know who to credit this recipe to. Our local restaurants call this soup Egg Flower Soup and another name is Egg Drop Soup.
4 cups prepared chicken broth
2 Tablespoons chicken stock reserved from the 4 cups
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 eggs lightly beaten
2 green onions chopped
Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Make a slurry of the 2 Tablespoons broth and 1 Tablespoon cornstarch, set aside.
2. Pour the remaining broth into a medium sized pot.
3. Add the soy sauce and grated ginger to the broth.
4. Bring the broth to a boil.
5. Add the slurry slowly and stir to incorporate it all until the broth thickens for at least 2 minutes.
6. While the broth is boiling and the slurry thickens the broth add the beaten eggs slowly in a stream while stirring the broth in one direction.
7. Keep stirring and adding the egg as it becomes feathery in the broth.
8. After the beaten eggs are added turn off the heat.
9. Taste and see if you need added salt or white pepper.
10. Add the chopped green onions and serve.
Serves 4 people.
We brought in Chinese takeout for our meal which we enjoyed after this homemade soup. It made hosting this party very easy. We added some panko shrimp from Costco with some Sweet Chili Sauce, too.
Back to the present and our busy week.
Monday our Heat Pump is being worked on. It is a major job and we feel sorry for the technician who will be working in below freezing temperatures here. Monday night our weekly home Bible Study is starting up again after a two month break. We are in 2 Thessalonians. On Tuesday we have a casual dinner and Canasta with some friends. On Friday my sister and her husband arrive for an overnight and they are taking us out for a Valentine’s Day meal. This is busy busy for us.
What’s new in your corner of the world?