It’s time for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Thank you Jo From This Side of the Pond for the questions!
1. Here we are entering the last month of the year 2020. 2020!! Every year The Oxford English Dictionary publishing team chooses a word that captures the general mood of the year we’re leaving behind, or the one word that will leave a lasting impact on the world at large. This year they needed sixteen words in order to cover the whole enchilada.
While two of the other major dictionaries selected pandemic as their word of the year, Oxford came up with a long list including-bushfire, impeachment, acquittal, coronavirus, COVID-19, lockdown, social distancing, reopening, Black Lives Matter, Cancel Culture, BIPOC, mail-in, belarusian, moonshot, net zero (read more about each word here)
Of the words listed which ONE would you say should be in the number 1 spot? Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again?
I’ll have to go with COVID-19 in the #1 spot.
Which word/phrase on this list would you be happy to never hear again?
There are several of these words/phrases I’d like to obliterate and have little tolerance for but since I can only choose one I’ll go with lockdown because mask wasn’t on the list.
2. What one word from your own list of words describing this year sums up/best reflects your 2020? Tell us why.
Hugs. The best part of this year was when hugs were allowed again in our family. The hardest thing was the few months with no hugging.
3. Do you like peppermint? Peppermint mocha, a candy cane, peppermint bark, peppermint tea, York Peppermint Pattie, peppermint ice cream…of the peppermint treats listed, which one is your favorite? Will you bake anything featuring peppermint this holiday season?
Peppermint has it’s place. I do enjoy a York Peppermint Pattie in the form of Junior Mints.
4. Besides Christmas, what do you associate the color red with?
Roses, stop signs, red light, the red carpet, Dorothy’s ruby slippers…
And in the world of soccer the dreaded red card that penalizes a player with ejection from the field and future games depending on how bad the violation was.
How about the color green?
Grass, Spring, vegetables, Go!, legal immigrants (green card), Irish…
5. Is your tree up?
Yes because we stumbled upon a good deal on a fake tree that was a floor model so it went right up when we brought it home. It is not fully decorated yet.
Real or artificial?
This is the first year we have gone with artificial.
Is your house decorated?
It is on the way to being decorated fully.
Is your shopping done? Started? Wrapped?
Pretty much done because this is a stockings only year. Every other year we simplify Christmas gifts and try to plan a family trip instead. We have our family trip booked for Arizona in January already. Nothing is wrapped.
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Scrooge-like and 10 being Buddy the Elf, how’s your Christmas spirit?
I’m going to go with a Tiny Tim 10 instead of Buddy the Elf.
6. Insert your own random thought here.
Sunday December 6th will be our Forty Sixth Wedding Anniversary.
Usually we would go out for a nice meal or even plan an overnight somewhere…sigh. We will still celebrate and choose joy and thank our God for sustaining and blessing our marriage.