These Poblano halves are filled with a mixture of Blue Cheese, diced apples, and walnuts. The heat of the Poblano pepper adds a nice kick to these crunchy boats of goodness. Serve as a salad or an appetizer. You can increase the recipe if you’d like to serve more than two people. You can also leave the Poblano whole, cutting a slit in it when you remove the seed instead of cutting the pepper in half, then stuffing it with the filling.
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 Poblano Pepper, roasting over open flame, peeled and seeded, some instructions to follow
- 1 cup finely chopped diced apples
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Methods for roasting peppers:
- If you have a gas stove top you can turn one burner to medium and hold the pepper over the open flame with tongs, turning until all sides are blackened and blistered, make sure your oven fan is on.
- After roasting the pepper place in brown paper bag and seal the bag to keep the steam inside the bag.
- When it cools put disposable gloves on and take the pepper out of the bag.
- The peel should come off easily at this point, you can use paper towels to rub the skin off.
- After peeling it, cut a slit down one side and using your gloved hands remove all the seeds.
- At this point place on a paper towel and refrigerate the pepper till you are ready to stuff it.
- Another method is to roast the peppers under the broiler of your oven for 5 minutes.
- You can also use your outdoor grill to roast the peppers.
- Whichever method you use, don’t forget step 2.
Method for the filling:
- Place the apples in a ceramic bowl and lightly coat them with the lemon juice.
- Combine the cheese and walnuts with the apples and toss.
- Cut the chilled pepper in half and place on top of a platter of salad greens.
- Fill each half of the pepper with the mixture of apples, walnuts and cheese.
- Whisk together the olive oil and red wine vinegar well and drizzle generously over the filled peppers.
- Serve immediately.
Tip: If you want to make more of these to serve 4-8 people you could roast 4 peppers ahead of time and keep them refrigerated until you are ready to serve these as an appetizer or salad. Just double the filling portion of the recipe.
4 thoughts on “Poblano Boats”
…a fabulous summer time treat.
They sound and look delicious. Thanks for sharing. Have a happy weekend.
They look delicious. I don’t like very much heat in my peppers, but poblanos are fairly mild.
They look delicious!! A great summer meal.