These bars have a nice shortbread like base with an almond flavor. I saw this recipe in my grocery store flyer and cut down on the sugar and spices from the original recipe.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large apples, cored, peeled, and sliced very thin
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9×9 inch baking dish.
- In large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, salt, baking powder and 1/3 cup of the sugar.
- In small bowl, whisk melted butter, egg, lemon zest, and almond extract until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the flour mixture and work with hands to make a soft dough.
- Pat 2/3 of the dough in pan, pricking it all over with a fork.
- Bake until browned, 15-20 minutes.
- In large bowl, toss fruit with spices and 1/3 cup sugar.
- Drop the sugared fruit evenly over the bottom crust that has just browned.
- Crumble remaining dough on top of the fruit.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake until top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes.
- Cut into bars.
- Store any leftovers in airtight container.
Yield: 9-12 bars